This isn’t about my hip (More on that tomorrow), and this isn’t just my story. This is the story of every teacher across the United States dealing with 1,000 different emotions all at once.
I, along with the rest of the teachers of the world, said goodbye to about 25% of my students via Zoom. What happened to the other 75%? I have no idea.
This year wasn’t supposed to be like this. It was shaping up to be my best year of teaching so far. I had the BEST professional development of my LIFE over the summer. I was finally a RETURNING teacher, so I already had relationships built with my students. We got new guitars and started ROCK BAND. I got us buckets and drumsticks and had multiple Donors Choose projects funded. I did the Little Kids Rock 102 training and spent time with Dave Wish. I was part of the LEADERSHIP SYMPOSIUM at GMEA. I incorporated hip-hop and instruments into my lessons and was making SO MUCH PROGRESS with my kids. We even won the Georgia Music Foundation grant and hosted Laura Kaye and Nathan Blake-- one of the highlights of my entire teaching career.
And all of that momentum came to a screeching, grinding, HALT.
I left my classroom on Thursday, March 12th having no idea that I wouldn’t be returning for the rest of the year. To be perfectly honest, Thursday, March 12th was not a very good day of teaching. I was worn out from our chorus event the previous week, feeling unorganized with my lessons, and really looking forward to my planned 3-day weekend.
Little did I know, that 3-day weekend would turn into something much more than that.
My district was one of the last in the area to decide to cancel classes, and even then they cancelled for a week and said they would “reassess.” Well, they reassessed and decided to cancel for another week. It was fun at first-- for everyone. An extended break and some time away. We’ll come back after spring break and crush the remainder of the school year.
Then the governor cancelled classes for the remainder of the year.
Hi! I am Nicole Guimaraes. I'm a K-2 music teacher in Falls Church City, VA. I've got an amazing husband and a fabulous dog who keep me busy. If I'm not teaching or walking my dog, you can probably find me at the gym!